Posts

CE: Views are in favour of Article 23

Image
(To watch the full media session with sign language interpretation, click here.)   The consultation exercise for the Basic Law Article 23 legislation has already garnered many opinions, with the majority of the views expressed supporting its enactment, Chief Executive John Lee said today.   The Basic Law Article 23 legislation consultation launched by the Government will end on February 28 and Mr Lee was asked about its progress by reporters before he attended the Executive Council meeting this morning.   “We have been receiving a lot of opinions,” he said. “The majority of them support Article 23 enactment.   “We also believe that because of what we went through in 2019 in the attempted colour revolution, the awareness has been very strong.”   The Chief Executive added that the consultation results will be presented to the Legislative Council.   “The general opinions give me the impression that they are in support (of) the overall goal of enacting Article 23 to

BidVertiser

Govt subsidises exhibitors

Image
(To watch the full press conference with sign language interpretation, click here.)   Secretary for Commerce & Economic Development Algernon Yau said today that the Government expects the convention and exhibition industry to achieve or surpass pre-pandemic levels given that certain large-scale events have already returned to Hong Kong.   Mr Yau pointed out during a press conference this afternoon that throughout the second half of last year, 61 exhibitions were held in the city, 54 of which had been approved for a total of HK$265 million in government subsidies.   Apart from emphasising that the exhibitions had attracted some 80,000 exhibitors, including 30,000 from local organisations and 50,000 from overseas, he explained that they also attracted over 1.2 million visitors.   Mr Yau added that approval will be given for more exhibitions to be held in the city and the number of people visiting Hong Kong will increase accordingly.   He highlighted the Government

Yuen Long project construction starts

Image
Construction of the first Light Public Housing (LPH) project at Yau Pok Road in Yuen Long, officially started today.   The Yau Pok Road project will provide about 2,100 LPH units, with intake expected to begin in the first quarter of 2025. Application arrangements will be announced in the second quarter of this year.   Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong, Secretary for Housing Winnie Ho and Secretary for Labour & Welfare Chris Sun officiated at the groundbreaking ceremony this afternoon.   Mr Wong thanked the Legislative Council, the local community and Sun Hung Kai Properties which lent the Yau Pok Road site for free, for supporting the project, adding that their assistance as well as the hard work of the construction team and government staff, gave hope to the public, especially families living in subdivided units and waiting for public rental housing.   Before the ceremony, Mr Wong and Ms Ho visited a mock-up LPH unit, received a progress briefing by Director

HKO to open to the public

Image
The Hong Kong Observatory will hold open days on March 23 and 24 to showcase its work.   Adopting the theme of this year's World Meteorological Day, “At the frontline of climate action”, the exhibitions at the event will feature how the Observatory applies the latest technology to provide various services including weather forecasting, aviation weather services, microclimate monitoring and radiation monitoring.   Online pre-registration is required. Each applicant may request a maximum of four tickets free of charge. If there is oversubscription, selection will be made by computer balloting.   The online registration system will accept applications from today to noon on March 1. Successful applicants will receive tickets with a QR code via email on or before March 12. Click here for details. http://dlvr.it/T2xKwt

12 building plans approved in Dec

Image
The Buildings Department approved 12 building plans last December - six on Hong Kong Island, one in Kowloon and five in the New Territories.   Of the approved plans, seven were for apartment and apartment-commercial developments, two were for commercial developments, and three were for community services developments.   Consent was given for works to start on 11 building projects which, when completed, will provide a combined 66,519 sq m of gross floor area for domestic use involving 1,767 units, and 68,176 sq m of gross floor area for non-domestic use.   Additionally, the department received notification of commencement of superstructure works for six building projects.   It also issued 20 occupation permits - three on Hong Kong Island, seven in Kowloon and 10 in the New Territories.   The buildings certified for occupation comprise 5,450 sq m of gross floor area for domestic use, involving 128 units, and 55,480 sq m for non-domestic use.   Meanwhile, the depar

$14 billion laundering case detected

Image
Apart from smashing a money laundering syndicate which had laundered about $14 billion through transnational trade activities, Customs has frozen about $165 million worth of assets under the names of those arrested in the case.   Customs made the announcement today and pointed out that this is the largest money laundering case it has shut down to date in terms of the amount of tainted money involved.   It explained that Customs officers had earlier identified a suspected money laundering syndicate and initiated a financial investigation.   During the probe, the officers discovered that the family-owned syndicate not only opened multiple companies and bank accounts in Hong Kong but also recruited locals through an intermediary to open shell companies and stooge accounts for dealing with about $14 billion of crime proceeds.   The investigation also revealed that some of the tainted money originated from the proceeds of mobile application scams in India. On a pretence of e

Bun scrambling applications to open

Image
Applications for the Cheung Chau Bun Scrambling Competition will be accepted from February 19 to March 18, the Leisure & Cultural Services Department announced today.    Physically-fit adults are welcome to apply to participate in the event that is scheduled for May 15.   Twelve competitors will scramble for buns while climbing a tower from 11.30pm to 12.45am at Pak Tai Temple Playground on Cheung Chau.   The maximum number of entrants is 200. If the number of applications exceeds the quota, places will be allocated by ballot. Those who live, work or study on Cheung Chau will be given priority.   Safety training will be provided on April 7 and all applicants must attend the training before finalists are selected on April 14.   Twenty-four contestants in the first round - comprising at least six women - will be able to enter the semi-finals to compete for the 12 spots.   The 12 finalists - comprising at least three women - will compete in the May 15 race.